A Unique and Transformational Learning Experience for Communication Professionals
Inspiring leadership, transforming lives
The Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs (CCP) invites you to apply for the 2020 Leadership in Strategic Communication Workshop (LSCW). This three-week workshop, led by a distinguished faculty of public health, policy and development experts, has been described as a transformative experience.
The backbone of the workshop is guided by the P Process, a five-step communication framework. The P Process, which has guided the creation of communication strategies for more than 30 years, has been updated to incorporate lessons learned and to acknowledge the real-time, dynamic nature of the strategic process as well as new technologies and the constantly changing nature of communication, social norms and individual behavior and decision-making. It draws from many other disciplines, including design theory, behavioral economics, social psychology and anthropology.
How to Apply
Cost and Deadlines
Early-bird tuition: $6,500 – Deadline is Feb. 28
Regular tuition: $6,950 – Deadline is May 8
Travel, visa, hotel, and incidentals are not included in the tuition price. Johns Hopkins University does NOT provide financial assistance to applicants, and therefore it is the responsibility of each participant to find his or her own source of funding. We recommend that sponsors and/or participants budget $10,000 to cover the cost of tuition, travel, hotel and all fees associated with attending the workshop.
Who is this workshop for?
- Project leaders interested in staying current with the latest social and behavior change communication program design approaches and new models for evaluation
- Global health and development program managers seeking to increase their knowledge of communication in the context of program design
- Senior and mid-level officials in ministries of health, finance, and other departments related to health and global development
- USAID mission staff who manage complex health and development projects in their region and/or who oversee implementing organizations
- Development professionals working in social and behavior change communication, knowledge management and other areas of communication seeking to understand CCP’s approach to program design, implementation and evaluation
LSCW has over 5,000 alumni in 100 countries around the world. Our alumni include country presidents, ministers of health, USAID mission directors, and other leaders in government, public health, global development, medicine, and communication.
What will you gain?
- Practical, accelerated learning of communication theory, design and measurement strategies, with a focus on social and behavior change.
- An understanding of multidisciplinary approaches, applied in the context of communication for global health and development.
- Current trends in project management, crisis management and leadership.
What will you do?
Working in a team, participants will develop a scalable health communication campaign based on a pre-determined global health or development challenge. In the course of developing the campaign participants will learn how to:
- Write a strategic communication plan
- Design and implement evidence-based, culturally-relevant messages
- Explore digital media as a mechanism for dissemination and measurement
- Develop a crisis response plan
- Measure and evaluate program results
Obtaining U.S Visa:
Please note that JHU does not offer immigration sponsorship for this workshop. The B-1/B-2 visitor visa (or visa waiver program) may be suitable for participants who are not U.S. Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents. Visitor visas are self-sponsored, and individuals submit a visa application directly to a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad. The U.S. Department of State is the issuing authority for all U.S. visas and determines whether the proposed activity in the U.S. is appropriate for issuance of a visitor visa. Participants authorized to be in the U.S. in some other visa status may be able to attend the program if that status also allows participation in this type of program and does not violate the terms of their visa.