Brothers for Life Powerful PSA Part of the Brothers Against Violence Campaign

Patrick Shai
Patrick Shai appears in the PSA.

To accompany its Brothers Against Violence campaign, Brothers for Life has released a Public Service Announcement featuring South African actor Patrick Shai, a former violent husband and now gender-based violence activist.

The PSA depicts Patrick Shai speaking honestly and courageously about his cruel past. He says, “I used to beat up my wife. I beat her up for my own infidelities. I beat her up for my own insecurities.

“I wanted her to love me. But how can you say that someone loves you, when they are afraid of you? That’s when I realized I needed to change. Enough was enough.”

The PSA was shown at the launch of the Brothers Against Violence campaign on October 20 in Sandton, South Africa. At the launch attended by Dr. Aaron Motsoaledi, Health Minister, and Noluthando Mayende-Sibiya, Women, Children and Persons With Disabilities Minister, Patrick Shai explained that it was only when he was filming a domestic violence scene for the TV drama Soul City that he truly understood the pain he inflicted on his wife and family. He called “cut” and walked off the set, determined to change his behavior.

Brothers Against Violence is a program to address violence against women and children in South Africa. It is being implemented by Brothers for Life, a national campaign that encourages men to positively influence each other as men, partners, parents and leaders.

Brothers for Life is a collaborative effort led by South African National AIDS Council (SANAC), the Department of Health, USAID/PEPFAR, Johns Hopkins Health and Education in South Africa (JHHESA), Sonke Gender Justice, the United Nations System in South Africa and over 100 other civil society partners working in the field of HIV prevention and health.

Learn more about Johns Hopkins Health and Education in South Africa and Brothers for Life.

Subscribe to our monthly newsletter